Sunday, February 14, 2016

Black Women, Responsibility, and HIV Prevention

It is safe to say I am obsessed with all things Formation. I have seen the shows with pundits breaking down the subliminal messages of the video and SBO50 half-time performance, real or imagined, and read the articles that also dissect the messages in the video. I’ve looked into the back story of the clips she used and learned about Messy Mya and watched That B.E.A.T.. By the way, I totally understand why the directors were so upset that so much of their footage made it into her video and took to Twitter to be receive their just credit.

In all of that, the article that hit me at my core was the one written by Ashley Innes and posted on HIV Equal Online. In the article Ms. Innes echoes what I have been saying for years to anyone who will listen: As women, we have to take responsibility for our own sexual health. We cannot lay down that right at the doorstep of the bedroom, and we cannot blame our partners if we are not actively engaged in our protection. We are not victims. We are grown women doing whatever we want, and so we have to be accountable for our choices. Read Ms. Innes’ plea for us to get in Formation here .

No comments: